Suggest the ideal dosage for Colicaid drops taken for colic pain

Posted on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 in Child Health
Question: hi doctor I have a 14 day daughter to whom I have given colicaid post consulting a doctor she is having less colic pain now and sleeping is she feels the pain again in what frequency should I repeat the medication??
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually doesn't require medicines - but can give 8th hourly once

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

This is called evening colic and is quite common in this age group. This happens when the baby sucks at the breast very fast and in eagerness to drink milk will gulp in air too. Unless the air comes out like burping or flatus this discomfort will be there and next time check if the baby is sucking too fast and gulping in air too. You will be more convinced.

Usually I don't advice any medicines for this as they give only temporary relief.

The two best ways to relieve this distress is -
1. Do not put the baby in lying position after feeding till the baby burps out the swallowed air.
2. If still crying - put the baby in prone position and keep patting the back gently so that the baby passes off the flatus and gets relieved.

But as you have found colicaid useful and your query was specifically directed at the frequency of usage.... I suggest you can use Colicaid drops every 8th hourly once.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology