question-icon

Suggest the dose of Thyronorm to bring the elevated TSH level to normal

Posted on Mon, 30 Jul 2018
Question: My Father is of 83 years age he was taking thyronorm medicine 37.5 daily.. Now in recent test his T3 AND t4 shows normal but TSH is increased to 6.41 mcu . So what will be the dose now
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
50 Mcgraw, physician consult and clarifications please

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*does your father have any other medical issues or take any medications?
* does he take any supplements like Calcium or iron. If so, does he take them along with the thyronorm?
*does he take Thyronorm on an empty stomach and eat only after an hour?
*any recent strain health like an illness?
*any recent change in diet?
*any symptoms?

I recommend :
-a physician consult to check for signs of undue stress on the body
-increase the dose to 50 mcg a day and recheck Tsh values in 4-6 weeks to see if it normalizes.

After that it has to be checked every 3 months to see if it is fluctuating.

Please get back to me with the above requested clarifications so that I may help you better.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad