Suggest the dosage of vitamin B supplement

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 5 Sep 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: How much vitamin B supplement is it wise to take? I am taking 1 capsule Solaray B-complex 100 about 4 times a week. Is this dosage too much? I take a multivitamin about 2 times a week, too. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroiditis.
Thiamine B-1 100 mg
Riboflavin B-2 100 mg
Niacin B-3 100 mg
Vit B-6 100 mg
Folic acid 400 mcg
Vit B-12 cyanocobalamin 100 mcg
Biotin 100 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 100 mg
PABA 100 mg
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Good day.
Noted your concern.
The contents of the Solaray B complex looks good and weekly four days is okay. However, if you are deficient in vitamin B12, then this dose is not enough.

As you know, Hashimoto's hypothyroidism is an auto immune disease and occasionally, other auto immune disorders are associated with it. For example: Pernicious anemia. Here Vitamin B12 absorption will not take place. Another autoimmune disease is celiac disease where Vitamin D is not absorbed well. In these two conditions, often require vitamin injections or high oral dose. HAve you had a Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D test done? If you are not deficient and want to just take a supplemental vitamin, then Solaray B complex sounds reasonable .

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 9 hours later
Hello!
Thank you for your answer. I am also taking:
Jarrow Methyl B-12 1 lozenge=1000 mcg about 1 time/week when I am very fatigued. That may not be enough?

Vit D3 2000 IU/day (1 capsule by Bluebonnet)

My labs were done last year. I will ask my doctor to repeat the B-12 and Vit D tests in September. Would you recommend a particular kind of testing, i.e., is blood testing adequate?

I want to ask you about thyroid hormone replacements. I am taking the synthetic
kind but am very interested in Armour. What do you think about Armour? I have had problems with the synthetic ones. Especially the free T4 is often a little out of range: 1.58 (reference range 0.76-1.46). Would a high free T4 cause sleep problems? I am often unable to go to sleep or wake up very early and can't go back to sleep.

I thought that stopping the Cytomel 5 would help but it did not and the fasting T3 was low: 54 (76-181). Would it help to take a second Cytomel 5 in the afternoon. Would it help with increasing melatonin levels?

Thank you very much for your help. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Your current Vitamin D dose is good.
Vitamin B12 dosing is good as a supplement. But i you were deficient in vitamin B12, then almost daily dose of 1000 mcg may be necessary for sometime. Was it low earlier?

Both Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D tests are blood tests.

Personally, i do not prefer Armour thyroid. It contains both T3 and T4. But if some people prefer to take it , i do not stop them. Synthroid contains t4 and is generally enough in treating hypothyroidism. Cytomel is t3 and in normal circumstances, we do not use it. In specefic situations, it may be necessary.

One of the causes of high Free t4 ( with a normal TSH) is due to testing blood with in 4 hours of taking tablet. I advice my patients to give blood for thyroid blood works in empty stomach or after 4 hours of taking tablet. Otherwise, the Free t4 may be spuriously high. If T4 is in truely in excess, you may develop insomnia and palpitations etc.

Melatonin is available as over the counter preperation to help insomnia

Binu