Suggest tests when diagnosed with thyroid and BP issues

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: hi,
My mother age is 56 yrs ,let me know what all body test she should go for.
my email id : YYYY@YYYY

Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may please follow stand protocol tests provided by a Lab/Hospital

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query about your Mother who is 56 years old.

Read and understood that your mother is suffering from thyroid and BP problems and you want to know what all body tests she should go for.

Most of the well-know laboratories have special packages named after a particular organ or disease.
As per the history you have provided you can certainly ask for the following protocol.

Routine blood tests of CBC
Free T3, Free T4 and TSH.
Kidney function tests (Blood Urea, S. Creatinine, Uric Acid, S. Calcium)
Lipid profile and other cardiac package
Blood sugar - Fasting and after food
Liver function tests.
ECG, Tread Mill Test (TMT), 2D Echocardiography
X-ray of the chest
These are the standard protocol tests. But the further tests should also be done after clinical evaluation, actual clinical general and specific (systemic) examination that decided added tests.
Hence it is better to get a consultation of a MD Physician for clinical evaluation, examination and tests advised after this; best carried out in a hospital so that the other tests of EKG, X-ray and Echo are done in-house under his supervision.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply.it is really helpful.
I have found some test which women should go above 50 yrs.
Can you please verify that she should go for all these.
Screening colonoscopy
Blood pressure
Cholesterol
Blood sugar
Pelvic exam & pap smear
Breast exam & mammogram
Eye check up
Dental
Immunization
Osteoporosis screening
Skin exam
Lungs cancer

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please feel free o discuss.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Very true.
I had mentioned the tests as per the problems your mother have and a few tests to add on.
I will just simplify to what you have added on:
Blood pressure- comes in clinical exam
Cholesterol - in Lipid profile
Blood sugar - already mentioned

Screening colonoscopy- Has she any problems? Can be done if your Mother is willing and/or her Physician asks so.

Pelvic exam & pap smear - This is a good idea
Breast exam & mammogram - this is a good idea.

Eye check up- goes on after the of 40 as is mostly required.
Dental- as per requirement.
Immunization- not needed
Osteoporosis screening- absolutely yes.
Skin exam- if there is a problem
Lungs cancer - if there is a suspicion.

Please feel free to discuss further. I shall be happy to assist you the most .