Suggest tests to diagnose mycoplasma infection

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: I am diagnosed with mycoplasma for the third time now within this year although it was supposed to be treated like a month or two months ago but appearantly it cane back or maybe it never really cure.. Anyways my dr gave me tavanic antibotics for 7 days to treat it plus supposatories.. My question is when do i do my next test to make sure that its gone? Like how long does the antibiotic stay in my system? So i wouldnt get false results
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test one month after treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
For mycoplasma infection a test of cure one month after treatment is very important to make sure that the antibiotics have worked. This will help in the actual assessment with minimal chances of a false result. Tavanic or levofloxacin is not 100% effective in everyone so if your test of cure shows Mycoplasma genitalium is still present after one month of treatment then a second course of antibiotics is required.
Also it is important to tell your recent sexual partner that you have been diagnosed with Mycoplasma genitalium and ask him to get himself treated.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal