Suggest tests to diagnose kidney stones

General Surgeon
Question
I think I have kidney stones. How can I be sure? the pain came on sudden and severe, lower left part of my back and shooting pain to the abdomen, along with shooting pain to my knee.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
by ultrasound

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms which you are telling suggest it may be kidney stones.

In kidney stones pain usually radiates from back to abdomen or from abdomin to groin and genitals. There may be associated vomiting or its sensation. Mostly it will be intermittent sharp pain with symptomless intervals.

The presence of stone is diagnosed by ultrasound scan of abdomen. It also tells about size of stone and its location and also to rule out any other causes of pain.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil