Owl Image

Suggest tests to diagnose epilepsy

Owl Image
Dr. Albana Sejdini

Question
I would like to know how likely it is for a 21 year old man to develop epilepsy. He has episodes of head dropping, unresponsiveness, rapid blinking, facial twitching and dribbling. This lasts 1-2 minutes followed by 10 minutes of staring and not talking or reacting to anything. He then starts making sounds before beginning to speak and seems very dazed and sometimes nervous. This is getting more frequent. What kind of seizures could this be?
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should determine underlying causes...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Epilepsy might be related to :
- heredity
- previous history of high fever in early childhood or
- history of trauma/injury to head

Further evaluation by neurologist is needed together with :
- EEG (electroencephalogram)
- ct-scan of head

to assess possible damages inside cranium (including brain) and start proper treatment. Other problems should be ruled out apart epilepsy.

Hope it answered to your queries! Let me know if I can assist further!
Dr.Albana