Suggest tests to diagnose Candida albicans infection

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is there a simple test to determine if one has an overgrowth of candida albicans? What would be a non-prescription remedy for this condition?
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes tests available. Tt- Fluconazole.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.
I would like to know your symptoms. The treatment depends on that.You must specify if oral, vaginal, mucocutaneous, etc. Yes you can get tested for fungal elements by microscopy examination and culture sensitivity test for fungal infections. You can also take a serum (1,3)β-D-glucan assay an amebocyte lysis assay with a sensitivity of 75-100% and a specificity of 88%-100%. Normally treatment is fluconazole at a dose of 100-400 mg/d or itraconazole at a dose of 200-600 mg/d until the patient improves.

Hope I answered your query.
If no clarifications then you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.
Dr. Sheetal Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 18 hours later
Thank you for your response to my questions. I'm asking because I'm wondering if candida could be the cause of my constantly feeling hungry, even after I've eaten. Also, I really didn't understand the technical answer about the tests. Can you clarify. Is there such a thing as a 'spit test'? Thank you for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Balance your diet.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The symptoms of intestinal Candida overgrowth are digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, or diarrhea and not overeating or hungry as in your case.You can get stool test or urine Organix Dysbiosis Test detects a waste product of Candida yeast overgrowth. Use bulky fiber rich diet, soups and eat salads. Do have persistent stress and anxiety as it is a definite trigger for excessive hunger. Need to consult a psychiatrist for that. Get your blood sugar levels done to rule out diabetes. You must also get your stool test done for routine microscopy for diagnosis of worms infestation.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist