Suggest tests to detect causes for intermittent abdominal pain
Yes, Sir. Tomography far better.
Thanks for your query.
To recapitulate: Male/70 - from Bolivia - intermittent pain - right hypochondium - 3 months - No GI symptoms - ultrasound normal - other tests as noted are normal - local Gastroenterologist recommends contrast colon studies - wants to know whether tomography be better.
Very clear thoughts.
I would advise you the following:
Certainly CAT scan (tomography) will be the better investigation as it can pick up many diseases that an ultrasound can not.
Although additional investigations that can be of help are:
- X-ray in the standing position when in pain. This is very important that the investigations better be done when in pain as it increases to find out the offending cause. May be missed when the pain is not present.
- Upper GI and colonoscopy are equally important.
- While doing ultrasonography- color doppler of the arteries supplying intestines can give some information.
I hope this answers your query and helps you to get an early diagnosis and a plan for management of your problems, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication or if you want to share any additional information.
a few things only.
It gives far superior contrast as compared to CAT scan hence stricture, mass protruding in the colon and dilatation better visualized on contrast study of colon.
But colon studies can not show the exact size of the mass or so; the CAT scan shows the mass.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can my intermittent abdominal pain and nausea be due to pinworm infection?
- What could be the cause for intermittent abdominal pain
- What is the cause of sharpintense and intermittent abdominal pain
- Wifi cause abdominal pain
- Sharp intermittent abdominal pain like a knife
- Intermittent abdominal pain waiting for colonoscopy result any thoughts
- Causes of acute abdominal pain
- Suggest treatmant for inguinal hernias causing abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain caused by hard coughing
- Experiencing intermittent abdominal pains and white mucus anal discharge suggest