Suggest supplements to treat kidney disease

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: What supplement would you recommend for kidney support?
Just in general. At one point the Creatinine count was a little over the mean
But drinking more water took care of that. Is there anything to strengthen the kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several factors that effect kidneys are explained in detail

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

It is good that the creatinine levels went back to norm after you drinking plenty and this tells that you need to keep yourself hydrated as the kidneys are one of the first organs that suffers when we loose fluids and do not well substitute them.
I would like to say that some increase of creatinine level with age is normal and it is good to calculate the creatinine levels with the age, gender and height as all these factors can effect the normal range.

As for food in general and supplements specifically, there is no specific diet if you do not have kidney failure, just keep eating balanced diet and drink well.

Even though many patients are focused in diet and supplements, it is interesting to mention that the real risks for the kidney are not food related but control of blood pressure and sugar levels.

Make sure you have checked your blood pressure levels and sugar levels and if you have hypertension or diabetes than make sure you take the proper treatment to have them under control.

Alcohol and smoking are not helpful in kidney protection and is good to be considered as risks if a patient uses them.

Obesity does not directly effect the kidneys but it does indirectly as it shows a lifestyle that favors hypertension and diabetes so a patient that is obese needs to work in a good balanced diet with good caloric control.

Being active as much as you can and in regular basis going for walks and having exercises is healthy in general and also to kidneys as it helps control other factors that directly effect kidneys like blood pressure and diabetes.

Avoiding medications that might hurt kidneys ls advisable, especially high doses of over the counter ones like ibuprofen, naproxen, diclophenac, etc.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply if more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T