Suggest supplements for venous insufficiency

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I was diagnosed with mild to moderate bilateral venous reflux. I was prescribed compression stocking for a month with a follow up as to helpfulness of treatment. Are there any supplements that my help my condition?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supplements won't help venous reflux...

Detailed Answer:

Venous reflux and varicose veins don't heal with supplements or other oral medications. It is treated surgically or through sclerotherapy techniques. Radiofrequency ablation option is also available.

Until your doctors can plan those intervention procedure, you should continue using compression stockings and avoid prolonged standing.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 37 hours later
Should I not sit for long periods as well?

And

From my knee to my feet I experience throbbing and have a burning sensation during my sleep. I wake up often because of this and loose a lot of sleep.

I apply a cold compress. Is there anything else I can do while I wait for my follow up appointment in a week?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sitting is allowed with stocking..

Detailed Answer:
You are allowed to sit for hours provided you are wearing those compression stocking. Alternatively I will allow prolonged stocking provide you rest the limb over a seat. This will allow blood flow smoothly as the effects of gravity is nullified.

As far as the pain is concerned you may try over the counter pain medicine like Motrin provided you don't have asthma, allergies or kidney issues. Sometimes vitamin and mineral deficiencies are known to cause such pains. Therefore I will start you on nutrition supplement in an effort to treat it if any.
However the best treatment will done after the doctor visit. In my opinion you need evaluation to see if there are other causes of pain.

Hope this answers your question. I'll be glad to discuss further if you need assistance.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later
Thank you
Please respond with name of treatment supplement.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calcium + vitamin d and multivitamin

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for the late reply.

At this moment, I would start calcium + vitamin d supplement along with multivitamin pills. These should be available over the counter at pharmacy store including walgreens. However as I mentioned earlier the best and effective treatment is possible after we evaluate the cause of pain that will include search for deficient nutrients like iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin d, vitamin b12, hormones like thyroid, blood sugar and so on.

Discuss these during your appointment.

Thank you and regards.