Suggest supplements for less overall growth of a 5 year old

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi doc...my son is going to be 5 by coming Oct, am worried about his overall growth, he is around 15 kg now.
He is a twin child wherein his birth weight was 1.8 Kg.
Can you guide me whether any vitamins or supplements to be given.
He is an active child, we are giving him pediasure currently along with milk.

Thanks
XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO need for supplements

Detailed Answer:
HI...thanks for consulting on health care magic.

If he is active and developmentally normal, a kid of 5years weighing 15 kg with a birth weight of 15 kg is excellent.

Please provide the below mentioned information -
1. His current height
2. How is his twin's height and weight now
3. Are there any chronic illnesses/ allergies diagnosed in your kid till now
4. What is the height of both his parents now
5. How you and your wife were at this age - I mean what was your stature at this age of 5 years.
6. Was he hospitalized for any major illness till now.

Get back to me with the above information and I would suggest you what can be done.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Suggest supplements for less overall growth of a 5 year old 33 minutes later
Thanks doc for response.....other details are as follows, please guide

1. current height - 40 inch
2. other twin child is girl, her height is 43 inch and weight is 21 kg, birth weight was 2.8 kg
3. No chronic illness but he is currently suffering from recurrent cold and cough for which homeopathy treatment is going on
4. Mine height is 5 feet 9 inches and wife is 5 feet
5. Both of us weight was normal but my wife born as premature baby
6. He was born as hypopediasis child and got treated at the age of one year.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only vitamin D supplementation

Detailed Answer:
Hi..thanks for trust in me.

He is doing very well. We need to give a leverage for his low birth weight and the mid parental height is also tallying. The most important point is that he is developmentally normal and so no other special vitamin supplements are needed except vitamin D that too in the dose of required daily allowance.

You can give Vitamin D at 600 IU per day once daily after consulting your paediatrician for prescription.

Vitamin and mineral supplements will never help in gaining weight. the only and best source for weight gain is adequate food. But I suggest you give adequate amounts of ghee in his diet as it will make the food calorie dense though he consumed less.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696