Owl Image

Suggest steps to feel safe in an operation theatre for the patient

Owl Image
Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Question
The last time I had surgery I was left awake and paralysed during a general anaesthetic and was very combative when I woke up.

I had no risk factors for intra operative awareness when it happened and believe that it was a result of serious neglect on the part of the anaesthetic provider. The hospital denied any knowledge of the incident when I asked about it, which meant that I was given no psychological or physical support or advice on which, if any, medications that I should avoid in future surgeries.

How do I communicate this concern with subsequent surgical providers and what steps can I take to feel safe in a surgical environment going forward?
Sat, 6 Jan 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vivid anesthetic agents. needs to take detailed OT note from the hospital.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear , hi

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* There are different group of anesthetic agents with wide variety of actions
on the central nervous system to induce anesthesia .

* Suggestions for your doubt

- Take detailed OT note of the last surgery including the names and dosage
details of the anesthetic agent .
- Represent to your next surgeon before your anesthesia and discuss also
with your another anesthetic regarding the past experience .

* This is the best way how the newer anesthetic will manage the change of
necessary molecule or dosage as per the requirement of the surgery .

Hope this clears your query .
Welcome for any further doubts .

Wishing you fine health ahead .
Regards dear take care .