Suggest stage 2 ovarian cancer treatment options

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 in Cancer
Question: when u have been told u have stage 2 ovarian cancer what are your options of treatment. I have under gone surgery and now need further treatment. I have been informed that treatment will be done in tablet form. what tablets are available
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: usually chemotherapy is given Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. After surgery for stage 2 ovarian cancer, chemotherapy given in injection form is the standard treatment. Six cycles given in 21 days interval is commonly practiced. Giving tablets is not an usual treatment. You need to discuss with your oncologist regarding why specifically this treatment is being chosen for you. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
I live in a remote area where availability for chemo sessions as well as getting to the location is very difficult plus the cost of everything is also difficult when you are a single parent and living on a benefit with no other access to funds
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: I understand your situation. But sitting here thousands of miles away I can only give you the standard recommendations. If chemotherapy is not feasible then observation may be done accepting the increased risks of recurrence. Oral therapy is usually not advised in this setting. You may find this page interesting for further reading... http://www.ovariancancer.net.au/treatment-support/how-is-ovarian-cancer-treated/ Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E