Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Suggest some medicine to avoid pregnancy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hello Sir,
I am XXXXXX , ihad sex with my wife on 26th March and 14th April was mensuration cycle which has not happen and by testing we came to know she is pregnant..We want to avoid it as this point of time ..Which medicine she can take?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

methotrexate,mesoprostol and mifiprestone) is effective if pregnancy is less than seven weeks. Get an ultrasound done to confirm the period of gestation. If it is less than 7 weeks ( looks like 5 weeks in your wife’s ) then MTP by medical methods can be done.

For this purpose, she needs to get an examination done and the drugs prescribed from a gynecologist. You will be asked to come to the clinic and then oral mifiprestone tablet will be given to your wife. Then she will be asked to come back from home after 24-48 hours. At this visit, misoprostol tablets are placed in the vagina or in the oral buccal cavity between the gums and cheeks.

The misoprostol tablets will cause her to have cramps and bleed heavily. This usually starts about 2 hours after using the misoprostol and the process of abortion is completed within 4 or 5 hours after taking the misoprostol.
After abortion, she will have to take a repeat ultrasound to check the status of pregnancy. If there are any retained products of conception then she may need a D+C (dilatation and curettage).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor