Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest some medicine or exercise to gain weight

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4047 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I am 31yrs old, with height of 5"7ft and with 60 kilos. I want to put on weight, according to my friends, colleagues me looking lean and thin. Please suggest me what should I do naturally to put on weight.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.

Gaining weight is quite difficult, particularly among those who are naturally and genetically lean & thin.

Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 20.76 that is quite good and indicates normal weight. yAtour height,standard weight of an Indian man is 64-68 kg and in that sense, your weight is almost 4 kg short.

There are certain conditions associated with weight loss like Malabsorption syndrome of gastrointestinal tract, depression/stress/anxiety, intestinal worms, hyperthyroidism/ GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disorder) / Chronic illness, Smoking for long period etc. These should be ruled out through proper history taking (social/ family), Clinical examination and Laboratory investigation (complete blood count or Vitamin B12 assay,Thyroid profile etc). Please see a physician if you do have any of these symptoms.

For proper weight gain good balanced diet with fruits, leafy vegetables, high protein substance,Cereals, healthy fat contained food stuff etc are required on daily basis. Also regular exercise is needed like swimming/running /cycling.

Follow some basic guidelines that can help you to gain weight:

1) Healthy breakfast with a glass of milk and a banana/dry fruits.
2) Take high calorie food stuff (plant fat) like nuts, peanuts, avocados, seeds, almond butter,sunflower oil are great sources of healthy fats with nutrients.
3) Take frequent small meals every 3 hours and 6-8 meals are maximum in a day.
4) Intake of high protein diet by means fish,chicken,mutton 3-4 days per week or take a protein supplement health drink 2-3 times daily.
5) Eat vitamin B 12 XXXXXXX stuff like shellfish,eggs,dairy products etc or take supplementary medicine.
6) Avoid junk food as it has empty calories & take always fresh foodstuff.
7) Try to quit smoking & alcohol if you have the habit and herein psychological counseling may be needed.
8) Drink lots of water/fluids to keep hydrated & active all time.
9) Avoid stress/anxiety by regular XXXXXXX breathing exercise 20-30 times.
10) No medicine is helpful in gaining weight and mostly are associated with more side effects. Healthy diet/supplements and Exercise are superior to all.

Please consult with your nearest nutritionist and physical trainer for making proper diet chart & planning routine exercise.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health in future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Counseling psychology

doctor1 MD

I had a penile doppler test conducted but my experience was confusing. I was given an injection and asked to stimulate with hand but ibdid not get erection, then i was asked to stand up and shown a porn clip i achieved a very weak full flaccid...

doctor1 MD

My son, studied upto 10th std in KV, XXXXXXX Admitted to an integrated college (XXXX, Belgaum), since he was selected through talent search by XXXX. After admission, he asked to why to XXXX (wanted to be in KV). Again arranged for KV admission...

doctor1 MD

My nine year old son has ADHD , Depression and Sensory Processing Disorder . He takes D- Amphetamine XR 10mg capsule, and then one tablet at night for his symptoms. It usually is helpful but over the last couple days, he has been screaming in...

doctor1 MD

Hi Sir, I am 30 years male Indian, working in Dubai. My engagement was over last April & marriage is fixed in Dec 2012. last 5.5 I do chat/talk with my would be and we were very happy to share our things each other. She is little fatty in nature. & her period was irregular. Some months its not happening at all. So she went through a physical check up & found there is a syst in her (very minute) and doctor suggests to take medicine. She started taking medicine for 4 months & stopped. But when stopped it, the same problem came again. & 4 -5 Days back she consulted another Doctor & his comments was really shoked to her. He asked to take 8 months continuous treatment regarding this. This made her very dip pressed & started thinking weird. Now she says she hates sex & doesnt want to spoil my life & not interested in marriage. still we both love very much each other. I am so disapppointed now & this may be one of the most struggled moment in my life. Could you please advise me.

doctor1 MD

I think I might have either gonorrhea or a UTI, but I can t tell. I am honestly really scared and embarrassed so I can t tell anyone. The only symptom I seem to have is burning during urination which appeared the week of Christmas. It s not very severe, something a slight tingle then sometimes an uncomfortable burn but it s not really painful. I have no discharge, swelling, or redness in or around my area. I am a male who has only had sex with one woman twice, about a month before the symptom appeared.

doctor1 MD

hello i have this symtoms i had my baby on september 1, 2013 i have been feeling dizzy everyday, not feeling myself, feel weak, have post partum depression, went to the doctor he prescribe antibiotics, for dizziness and for depression ....can u help me

doctor1 MD

good morning . my marriage in after one month. and my penis is very small, before that i had a relation with one of my girl freind. that time also i was falling immediate when i insert. now if i do masturbating also withing a mint i fall.. i m very upset what to do which medicine i take please help me. when i feel or going near to any female close that time also i fall in side of my pant.. please