Suggest solution for frequent clogging of Foley catheter

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My 49 yr. old quadriplegic son has a Bladder tube (supra pubic) for about 5 years now. He also has a TBI and cannot urinate on his own. In the past 6 months the tube has to be changed every week and sometimes 2 x a week due to it becoming clogged with sediment and crystals. The tube gets "flushed" every am to make sure it's not clogged. He gets many UTI's even though he does drink alot of water to help prevent this problem. He is becoming immune to antibiotics, so they try not to use them unless absolutely necessary. How can we prevent this problem. He's been to a urologist for this problem and he is using a large Foley tube. Any suggestions? Thank you, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use Silicon Malicot's Catheter

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query.

The clogging of Foley catheter is common due to muck that is results from Catheter Cystitis due to foreign body reaction to Catheter.

You can put large bore silicon Malicot's catheter (24 Fr size ,) This silicon Catheter has less tissue reaction compared to latex rubber catheter and one need to change it after 3-4 months .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 days later
can certain drinks or food also irritate the kidneys or bladder to cause this crystallization that clogs the tube?
should the opening in the stomach where the tube enters the bladder have a gauze cover on it at all times to help prevent bacteria from entering at the site of insertion and
How often should the Foley bag be emptied?
thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not related to any drinks.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
The clogging of the catheter is basically due to muck which is result of foreign body reaction of the bladder to latex catheter .Keeping gauze piece around the catheter will nor prevent infection as the infection is transmitted mainly through the lumen of the catheter.

Urine bag should be changed every two weeks.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 13 hours later
How often should the Foley bag be emptied? Sometime it is 3/4 full and needs emptying and not done. Can this cause any problems with anything? What is the lumen of the catheter you mentioned.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lumen of the catheter is inner patent portion that drains out urine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.You need to empty urine bag whenever it gets filled up.
Emptying of urine bag has no relation to clogging .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist