Suggest solid food diet for a 6 month old baby

Posted on Wed, 31 Dec 2014 in Child Health
Question: hello, my boy baby has completed 6 months, so I am thinking to start solid food for him. As a beginning, I am planning to feed him ragi malt. Please suggest how many feeds are needed for him per day and in what quantity? Please advise the proportion of water and ragi powder as well. And also please suggest if i can start any other solids along with ragi.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complimentary feeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi...this is called complimentary feeding. These are the suggestions -
1. You can start with ragi.
2. The correct consistency is that where in the porridge will stay on the spoon without much effort. It should not be too sticky or too fluidic.
3. Introduce 1 cereal or one type of pulses per week or 1 type of new fruit per week. This is because if the kid develops diarrhea or vomiting, we will know which one us the culprit logically.
4. If you feel she's constipated you can give papaya paste... Its natural laxative. I am telling this because when you start complimentary feeds, some kiss get constipated.
Hope I have answered all your queries. I will glad to help, if anything more.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX thank you for your advice. At present my baby takes around 6-7 feeds(breastfeeds) per day, so out of these how many should be complementary feeds ? And also can you suggest what should be the quantity of complementary food for each feed ?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Feeds on demand

Detailed Answer:
Hi...coming to your queries one by one -

1. None of them need to be complimentary feeds. The word complimentary itself suggests that these Solis feeds should compliment breast feeds and not replace it. These are in addition to 6-7 breast feeds. These solid feeds you can gradually increase in frequency.

2. The quantity of complimentary feeds is best decided by the baby. If the baby refuses, don't over feed. It will lead on the aversion to food and vomiting becoming a habit.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology