Suggest remedy to remove scaly skin on elbow

Pediatrician
Question
My 11 year old daughter has this scaly patch of skin on the back of one of her elbows. We can't seem to get it to go away. We have tried exfoliation, skin cremes, etc. Can someone tell me what this might be? She said it doesn't itch.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Skin

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question. The lesions look like they may have originated as bug bites, or abrasions. However, they have become secondarily infected with bacteria. Specificaly, the lesions look like impetigo. Over the counter antibacterial ointments are usually effective for this. However, sometimes a prescription strength antibiotic ointment (ie. Mupirocin) is required. If the over the counter antibacterial doesn't work, I recommend consulting with your doctor.