Suggest remedy to increase lactation after c-section delivery

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I have delivered a baby boy through C Section on 18th XXXXXXX 2014. My body doesn't produce enough milk for the baby. Please advise what should I do in order to increase lactation.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Examine nipples and see if baby is comfortable

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
It is common to have such complaint after delivery -
- it is very important to see if your nipples are properly developed for lactation and for that try to squeeze the breast and see if proper milk comes out with minimal effort
- see if baby is in comfortable position while sucking
- don't give anyrhing to the baby except milk which is a usual practice when mothers find their milk insufficient
- in case all above conditions are met and still milk is not enough then take a tablet of metoclopramide and see if milk flow increases and if it does then visit your gynecologist and ask for a prescription after examination
All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 30 hours later
Hello Doctor, thanks for your suggestion. I have tried all the options suggested above and unfortunately none of them apply for me. My baby is able to suck the milk properly and when a squeeze my breast, proper milk comes out too. You have suggested not to give anything else except my milk to the baby. But what should I feed the baby when he is hungry and there is no milk in my breasts ?

As you have told to take metoclopramide tablet, please advise the dosage also. Shall I take the tablet when there is no milk or do I need to take that daily ? How many mgs tablet I should take ?

Please reply asap.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
visit your gynecologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, its good that other problems are not there as milk quantity can be increased by metoclopramide which comes in only in one strength of 10 mg so you won't face any problem in getting the tablet from any nearby chemist shop.
Take it twice a day and in case quantity increases then visit your gynecologist for examination as at times poor milk ejection is due to some lump pressing on the main duct of Breast.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 17 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX ! I have browsed about the tablet metoclopramide, but have found that it is used for treating nausea and vomit problems and nowhere it says about lactation. Can you please advise if there is any particular brand's tablets are used to increase lactation ?

Please refer the below link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metoclopramide
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
increases prolactin secretion

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear I appreciate your concern and your search is right in enumerating effects of metoclopramide.
Its mechanism of action is to antagonise dopamine which in turn increases prolactin which is a key hormone in production of milk.
It is commonly used in breastfeeding mothers with complaints of decreased milk production.
I'm sending you a link and you can also surf other sites to have a clear picture.
http://www.medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/metoclopramide.htm
In textbooks of obstetrics it is given in a very elaborative way with bigger diagrams but I think I have given you a simple layout of the total mechanism of action and its precise role in your case.
In case you have any question related to this you can contact me anytime 24×7 on health care magic.