Suggest remedy of indigestion

Posted on Tue, 1 Dec 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a healthy 77 year old male. In the last week or so I have been experiencing loose floating stools with no other symptons. I have been taking sugar free cough drops recently and know this can cause loose stools. Other than that I have no other symptons along with the stool issue. Until now I have had rarely had issues with bowel movements.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advices...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query very carefully and would like to be of help with my advice.

Loosing floating stools may be caused by:
- Gastrointestinal tract infection
- Maldigestion

In your case since you have no other symptoms loosing floating stools are caused from maldigestion, which may be a side effects of cough drops.

If you were my patents would recommend as follows:
- Stop taking the cough drops for a couple of days (3-5 days). If the loosing stools will continue, then other causes are to be blamed of.
- Drink plenty of waters and natural tea
- Avoid fried and spicy foods
- Avoid dairy products
- Use Tasectan
- Use re hydration therapy
- Use PPI OTC (prilosec)

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. klerida
p.s: If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again.
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 43 minutes later
I do have reflux. Could this be an issue.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Yes, acid reflux may be the precipitating factor/ or the cause of loosing stools. Stomach acidity increase the gastrointestinal transit causing maldigestion (indigestion) and loosing stools.

This is why recommended to take PPI (Prilosec). Moreover I would like to add also antacids which is of help (together with Prilosec) in reducing reflux and in improving your symptoms.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Klerida
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist