• question-icon

Suggest remedy for withdrawal symptoms of Paxil

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I gave been on seroxat(Paxil) for 14 years and trying to get off leaves me with too many withdrawal symptoms to bear. I need help overcoming my symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Paxil is indeed one of the most difficult antidepressant to taper off due to its short half-life. The good news is there is a special trick to help with this. Use a low-dose long-acting antidepressant like Prozac, say 10mg. This leaves a low level of serotonin in the system throughout the day to avoid the abrupt on-off effect of the short half-life of Paxil. Take Prozac 10mg-20mg until you are weaned off the Paxil, and then stop the Prozac. This is a technique that works well to avoid Paxil withdrawal in many patients.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 minutes later
I have a lot of anxiety symptoms from withdrawing from Paxil. I was given Paxil in the first place because of anxiety but now I feel it is the cause of anxiety, since a full dose doesn't help anymore. Does Prozac help with the anxiety as well? A local psychiatrist suggested 25mg of seroquel (quetiapine) at night. How slow should the tapering of Paxil be?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Prozac would help with anxiety, but I do also like the suggestion of Seroquel at night, particularly if you are having difficulty sleeping.

Since you have taken Paxil for many years, the taper should be very slow. I would decrease the dose by no more than 25% every two weeks.

Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 36 minutes later
What is the best non medication therapy for anxiety? I would like to work on it parallel to reducing plz.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
The best psychotherapy for anxiety is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This is equally effective as medications in the long-term treatment of anxiety, and would certainly be an excellent treatment in your case.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist