Suggest remedy for vomiting and severe motions when on Nan Pro

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 3months old.she was fine with nan pro 1 until she was 1.5months.after that she. Was vomiting n having severe motions.doc suggested us to use isomil for 1month n after that asked us to start nan again.but again when wen we switched back to nan same problem arises n doc asked us to continue isomil completely.but he didn't tell us the reason for this vomiting n motions.plz let me know why is this happening.we did a stool test too n it was normal too.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This may be due to transient lactose intolerance

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The main difference between Isomil and Nan pro is that Nan pro contains lactogen and Isomil is a soy based formula(low lactogen).
The transient lactose intolerance is common in infants and soy based formula are a good substitute during this period. In loose motion caused due to any reason(infective or nonifective) there is loss of cells containing lactase enzymes leading to improper absorption of lactose and thus lactose intolerance. Once the loose stool improves the cells regenerate and infant starts accepting lactose containing formula. This is the reason your physician has suggested to switch over to Isomil for one month. In most of the cases the lactose intolerance improves in a period of 15 days to a month but in few babies it may take 2-3 months(like in your case).
In few babies there may be congenital intolerance to lactose but this is very rare condition and is unlikely in your case as she was well with nan pro during initial 1 month.
So I would suggest you to continue the same for the time being and consult your doctor after a month or so for evaluation and to assess whether lactose containing formula can be restarted.

I shall be glad to answer if you have any more queries

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology