Suggest remedy for uterine bleeding in an elderly person

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm bleeding (a drop) from the uterus. I'm 74, 5'4" weigh 115#, excellent health
what to do?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would recommend you have an appt. with a gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and welcome,

Sometimes blood coming from the vagina can be coming from other structures of the genitourinary organs - labia, vagina, urethra, etc. This can happen because of physical irritation, physical trauma to the area such as with sex, or a bladder infection. Sometimes a XXXXXXX on the cervix (usually benign) can bleed a little bit if you've had a hard bowel movement that irritated it through the wall of the vagina.

It is also possible that it came from the uterus, which as you know, is not expected after menopause.

To sort this out, and make sure everything is ok, I would strongly recommend that you go in to see a gynecologist. The gynecologist can check a urine specimen to look for trace amounts of blood, look at all of the tissues to see if there is any irritation or tears. If all of that looks ok, the gynecologist may due an endometrial biopsy. This involves inserting a very thin tube through the cervix into the uterus, and taking several tiny pieces of uterine lining to make sure your uterus is ok. This can be done the same day as the office visit. It does cause some cramping during the biopsy and shortly after, and the gynecologist will likely give you a pain reliever for it.

Best to get this checked, but please don't worry as it may turn out to be only a minor problem.

Keep track of any bleeding and the amount, for when you go in to be seen.

If you can't get in to see a gynecologist for a long time (several weeks), most family practice doctors can examine you and do an endometrial biopsy if it is needed.