Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

170 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest remedy for uterine bleeding in an elderly person

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3114 Questions

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm bleeding (a drop) from the uterus. I'm 74, 5'4" weigh 115#, excellent health
what to do?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would recommend you have an appt. with a gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and welcome,

Sometimes blood coming from the vagina can be coming from other structures of the genitourinary organs - labia, vagina, urethra, etc. This can happen because of physical irritation, physical trauma to the area such as with sex, or a bladder infection. Sometimes a XXXXXXX on the cervix (usually benign) can bleed a little bit if you've had a hard bowel movement that irritated it through the wall of the vagina.

It is also possible that it came from the uterus, which as you know, is not expected after menopause.

To sort this out, and make sure everything is ok, I would strongly recommend that you go in to see a gynecologist. The gynecologist can check a urine specimen to look for trace amounts of blood, look at all of the tissues to see if there is any irritation or tears. If all of that looks ok, the gynecologist may due an endometrial biopsy. This involves inserting a very thin tube through the cervix into the uterus, and taking several tiny pieces of uterine lining to make sure your uterus is ok. This can be done the same day as the office visit. It does cause some cramping during the biopsy and shortly after, and the gynecologist will likely give you a pain reliever for it.

Best to get this checked, but please don't worry as it may turn out to be only a minor problem.

Keep track of any bleeding and the amount, for when you go in to be seen.

If you can't get in to see a gynecologist for a long time (several weeks), most family practice doctors can examine you and do an endometrial biopsy if it is needed.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Menopause

doctor1 MD

I am 57 and have been post menopausal since age 43. I haveI am 57 and have been post menopausal since age 43. I have had very light spotting after sex about once a month since that time. My doc is sounding the alarm bells, since I also had one incident that was not related to sex. I have recently lost a lot of weight and I think that was due to the release of estrogen from the fat cells. I have not got insurance and do not think this needs any investigation. Thoughts?

doctor1 MD

What could make my heart feel like it's pounding hard in my chest? Blood pressure and heart rate are normal. I've had 2 stress echo tests a year apart and everything looked good on both. I am 51, female, in menopause, and was dealing with anxiety this past summer/fall.

doctor1 MD

HI, I m 39 years old and for the last 3mths, my menstural cycle has slowed down to just spotting brown and only last maybe 3 days. It s like I m not even having a period except the cramping, but before this my periods were normal could I be starting to go through menopause?

doctor1 MD

okay here goes. Post-menopausal, 53 y/o 300lb woman. Previous history of bilateral oopherectomy (hence post-meno, at at 37) and both tubes removed: endometriosis. HRT for 5 years, then stopped due to inability to regulate bleeding. several endo biopsies and hysteroscopies in the past all negative; HPV test neg, All prev PAP neg. 1 benign polyp removed in 2008, bleeding stopped for about 3 years. para 3, gravida 1. current situation. ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSY results are ENDOMETRIAL INTRAEPITHELIAL NEOPLASIA, cribriform type, arising in an ENDOMETRIAL POLYP. Fragments of hemorrhagic proliferative endometrium. The endometrial polyp is extremely hemorrhagic and contains multiple glands demonstrating atypical nuclei and internal cribriforming consistent with EIN. TVUS 2 weeks ago showed 19mm endo thickness. PAP and cervical/vaginal checkup 4 weeks ago all normal. thoughts?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 59 years old, still having vaginal bleeding and have had severe pain in my right breast for over a week. I don't have insurance so the thought of seeing a doctor or having test run is next to impossible. Is it anything to be worried about

doctor1 MD

I am 59, female, what can i do for vaginal dryness and odor?

doctor1 MD

I have recurring yeast infection. How do I know it's a yeast infection? I feel a need to go to the bathroom frequently. Sometime it burns. No didcharge and Monostat seems to take care of it but I don't like to take that frequently. it's probably...