Suggest remedy for urinary incontinence when recovering from UTI

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi. Just left a local ER . Entered with a chief concern about left side inguinal pain. In fact the MD diagnosed inguinal sprain. He ruled out an inguinal hernia and blood clot. I am currently halfway through a ten day regimen of septra for a UTI. It is the second round of antibiotic this month. Five days ago my urine was deep in color and burned after urination. Both doctor recommend a follow up with a urologist. I have also suffered incontinence recently and urinate three or four times fron 4am to 7am.... My urine stream is ok . Any recommendations ? I live in a small town and will probably secure an appointment with a urologist in San XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms could be due to UTI secondary to Enlarged Prostate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have UTI mostly secondary to enlarged Prostate.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have voiding symptoms like frequency for urination ,urgency.nocturnal frequency etc?
2) Are you diabetic?

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done under his guidance.
1)Routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis.
3) Serum PSA.

In the mean while start taking broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Further treatment will be decided by concerned Urologist and will depend upon results of these test and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist