Suggest remedy for upper right abdominal pain

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Been having upper right abdominal pain for months now but has gotten worse the last few weeks. Does get worse after eating. Been eating very little and dribking water. Had ultrasound and hida scan done last november everything came back normal. Tried prilosec, ibuprofen and tylenol and no relief. Only thing thst helps a little is laying down. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
? Pancreatic disease

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Abdominal pain that gets worsened after food intake could be due to pancreatic issues.
A CT scan of the abdomen may be done to look for it.
Other possible cause is peptic ulcer disease. But the prilosec you took would have provided relief. But still an upper GI endoscopy may be done.

Sometimes it could be due to nerve related issues. A thorough clinical examination is essential.

Discuss with your doctor about all these possibilities.

I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
Would pancreatic disease show up on an ultrasound and on blood woek?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Pancreatic disease may not always show up in ultrasound scan. But it always shows up in CT scan.
During acute phase blood test may be helpful.

Dr.R.K