Suggest remedy for throbbing sensation in head after injury

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I fainted on Thursday morning and hit my chin on the tile floor. I went to the hospital and received 3 stitches. Since then, my head has been throbbing and my tempature is at 98.8. I have the chills and body flu-like symptoms. I don't have any memory loss or slurred speech. Should I be concerned and go back to the hospital?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not for the moment

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Looking at your symptoms there is no indication of any consequences related to the fall. Fever and body aches are not related to brain traumatic injury and as you yourself say there isn't any other central nervous system symptom. I am assuming also that at the ER they took your other vitals and preferably had an ECG as well (to check for heart arrhythmia as a cause for fainting - unlikely though).

I believe a viral infection like influenza is the most probable culprit. High temperature, chills, widespread muscle pain are all common features in this setting and the fainting was most probably related to that as well. So for the moment rest, being well hydrated, over the counter products like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever and vitamin C are all that is needed in a young patient with no other medical issues to render him particularly vulnerable. If fever persists more then 5 days then you should get checked for possible complications like pneumonia.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 8 hours later
I also have a slight ringing in my ears and i get an occassional shock wave through my eat drums
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional info.

It is not uncommon for the ear to be affected by upper respiratory infections like the flu. That is because the middle ear cavities on both sides are related to the posterior part of our throat through the Eustachian tubes. So inflammation of the area obstructs the opening of the Eustachian tubes and their draining, hence can produce the symptoms you mention (which are not indicators of brain injury if that's what you had in mind). It usually subsides with the flu but there are times it may be complicated with an ear infection.

I hope to have been of help.