Suggest remedy for throat pain without fever

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I have been suffering with throat pain past from 2 days unable to drink.This is a common symptom of cold but i donot have any fever or weakness in the body. Will it persists too bad? what are the immediate medication i need to go through? Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

According to your symptoms you might have Sorethroat due to upper respiratory tract infection.
All you need to do
Betadine gargles 3 times a day.You can get Betadine gargle solution at your local pharmacy.
You can take Antihistamines like Cetrizine 5 mg for 3 days for cold before bed.
You can take Lozenges like strepsils.
Do steam inhalation 3 times a day for 15 minutes.You will get relief from sorethroat and cold as well.
Drink plenty of warm water.
Avoid oily and cold food.
Avoid exposure to cold air like AC.
You have mentioned do not have fever hence you need not take medication like antibiotics.
If you will not improve after 3 days or if you will get fever I would start Antipyretics like Paracetamol and Antibiotics like Azihtromycin 500 mg after food once in a day for 3 days.You need to get this medication with local doctor prescription.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T