Suggest remedy for teething problems

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Dear Doctor, My daughter 3 and 1/2 months old is very aggrieved with her teething and intense itching in her gums.The irritation is so intense that she keep chewing her tongue which gets reddened.On other occasions she would intensely keep chewing or sucking her lips. She would not keep her fingers or toes out of her mouth for a minute and try to put whatever object she may find into her mouth. I am concerned that she may not hurt her gums and mouth given that her nails are sharp.

I have ordered a few things to help her
http://www.firstcry.com/chicco/chicco-soft-relax-teething-ring-set-of-2/247726/product-detail
http://www.firstcry.com/chicco/chicco-physio-comfort-active-soother-green/338426/product-detail

Which of these two is more appropriate? Also could you suggest her some medication that give her some relief while she is too much aggrieved.

Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Teething troubles are common

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

I have seen both of the products you have mentioned and both seem to be fine. As a father of a one I too did the same when my kid had teething pain. This is the age when some kids develops the act of self satiation by keeping fingers and toes in or thumb sucking.

I am sorry, there are no medicines to be used at this point of time for this. The best you can do is the clip the finger and toe nails so that they don't hut the tender gums or tongue.

Your queries -
1. Both the products are fine, no difference.
2. No medicine to apply in the mouth at this tender age.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D