• question-icon

Suggest remedy for tail bone injury

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I slipped the stair while holding my baby and landed on my butt very hard and broke the child gate at the end of the stairs. Baby is ok although I could feel pain from my tail bone. No noticeable bruises though. Anything I need to be concerned about? Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I am sorry that you experienced this fall. I'm sure it was a frightening experience.

It is possible that you suffered an injury to your tailbone. This is usually accompanied by some tenderness and soreness in the area which may last 7 to 10 days.

I would suggest that you try to apply some ice to the affected area for the first 24 hours. After that you can transition to warm compresses, a heating pad or warm soaks in the bathtub.

Ibuprofen may be helpful as well. You might take two or three tablets of ibuprofen every eight hours.

As long as the pain does not progressively worse in and if you have no difficulty with standing or walking then you should be fine.

If you develop symptoms a progressive or worsening pain however it might be reasonable to see your primary care physician.even in cases where there are fractures of the tailbone generally no type of surgical intervention is indicated. Sometimes x-rays are done to confirm if there might be a fracture but I don't think this is indicated in your case at this time.

thank you again for sending your question. I hope you continue to recover from your injury gradually and completely.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist