Suggest remedy for swollen nose after a fall

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 2 year old fell down steps and landed face first on the hardwood landing. She cried like most would expect.had a bloodied nose and it's now swollen. She has slight bump on forehead middle of forehead/right above eye. Should I be concerned with the nose swelling?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

Nasal bleeding is quite common in toddlers after fall as is swelling. The bump over the forehead is haematoma (collection of clotted blood ). If the following criteria are fulfilled there is no cause for concern

1. No deformity of nose
2. Absence of repeated vomiting
3. Baby is cheerful

Do not worry she is fine .

I would suggest you the following
1. Local application of ice
2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak Kaltari
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Common I can understand but the fact that it was 7 steps in total she fell down, I believe the last 2 were skipped entirely and landed face first on the hardwood and the only thing she really hit that was noticeable was her nose/forehead and the nose swelling was instant. Should I still assume all is well? Or is there anything specific sign wise that I should look for if something were to be wrong? I'm really just concerned about her nose because she did go back to normal with playing on things and acting like herself
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send clinical photograph

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms

From the description given by you there is no cause for concern. Do send me clinical photograph of nose for assessment of deformity.

You have the option of uploading the photos. Please use it.

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj