• question-icon

Suggest remedy for swollen lymph glands at the base of neck

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have swollen glands at the base of my neck on either side
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Recommended urgent consultation with your doctor please

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Lymph nodes are structures which belong to the immune system and help to fight disease and inflammation. The neck is an area with concentration of lymph nodes and their position is known by levels.

2. It will help to know if you had any recent flu, fever or infection in the head and neck regions and if the lymph node enlargement if painful or not and from how long it is there.

3. Painful enlargement of lymph nodes progressing since days is in reaction to any acute infection and inflammation. Pain less enlargement of lymphnodes for weeks to months is usually from chronic inflammation and rarely due to cancer.

4. Mild infection of head and neck region including flu, sore throat and dental problem are the common causes of painful lymph node enlargement in the neck. However any lymph node enlargement in neck requires consultation with the doctor to know its size, location and probable cause of enlargement.

5. After clinical evaluation, your doctor might recommend a neck ultrasound scan to know exact location and size of nodes. Further, depending on the clinical suspicion, the doctor may give you a short coure of antibiotics or request a needle test called FNAC to make a confirmed diagnosis.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist