Suggest remedy for swollen hand after bee Sting

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My friends hand is extremely swollen from a Bee Sting 2 days ago. The entire hand is swollen.

Is this something he should have a Doctor check out immediately?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is an Emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Bee sting 2 days ago and entire hand is swollen. This is definitely an Emergency for the following reasons.
Once the hand gets swollen it can loose the function very fast because this is the most distal part. distal meaning the end part of the limb. One can necrosis and gangrene.
He should be checked immediately by a Doctor.
First of all ask the friend to elevate the affected hand above the heart level whether in sitting or lying down position. This will assist to reduce the edema. This is the best way to reduce the edema. Continue Benadril. And rush to the Doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj