Suggest remedy for swollen and tight left calf with red blotchy color

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I have a very swollen and tight left calf with some red blotchy color on my side of the tight area. It's very uncomfortable more than painful. I have been diagnosed with PsA 3 months ago and I am on Humira for last 2 weeks and just got my 2 injection yesterday and have had no issues or side effects for the most part since changing from Enbral, which I felt very flulike with and doctors didn't feel it was stopping the joint progression.

Thanks- XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like serious infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

As per the description if your leg, its either cellulitis going into abscess formation or the more sinster necrotizing fascitis of the leg in the early stage.

The second one is a very serious infection, and spreads upwards very rapidly within hours.

Both these will need intravenous antibiotics for their control.

So i want you to show in an emergency department as soon as possible, because if God forbids, if it turns out to be necrotizing fascitis, then it could be life threatening, and I don't want you to take that chance.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T