Suggest remedy for swelling in tonsil

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: My right tonsil is swollen. It appears the swollen area is on the back part of my right tonsil. No pus or spots are present. I have minor pain when swallowing. I also feel minor discomfort on the right side of my XXXXXXX apple when swallowing.

I started noticing the pain while swallowing 4 days ago.

The left tonsil is normal and pain free.

I have read in many places if only one tonsil is swollen it might be cancer. I'm very concerned but without good insurance. However, I'm thinking I should still see a doctor.

Is having only one tonsil swollen common?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
One tonsil swollen is not common

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query; and it is correct that one tonsil swollen is not common.

Most probably you may be suffering from the inflammatory lesion.

Either take the proper antibiotic course after consulting with your doctor or send me the image of your tonsil and mention your age with any associated symptoms if you have to rule out the other disease.

Dr Hariom Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
I attached a picture in the additional reports. I'm not sure if it will help you at all.

I'm a male 34 years of age. When I swallow I feel a minor discomfort in the middle right side of my throat. The same side that my tonsil feels minor discomfort when I swallow.

I can eat and drink fine. Acute onset of the discomfort when swallowing. No present symptoms of cold or flu. I had tonsillitis 12 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably not a cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your picture; it suggests that most probably you may not be suffering from the cancer of the tonsil. No need to worry, just consult the ENT Specialist for further management.

Dr Hariom Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad