Suggest remedy for soreness in nipple

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 1 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I have one sore nipple that has become larger than the other, is always erect. The surrounding tissue does not hurt. I recently stopped birth control pills, but am not pregnant at this time. Soreness has been ongoing for a week.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information regarding the case!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the consultation at my virtual clinic!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can well realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

Sometimes hormonal changes in the body especially associated with the endogenous hormonal input changes causes such situations, But very importantly that involves usually both the nipples simultaneously.

I want to know some more details and if possible you may upload a picture of the nipple to review and manage it in the best possible way. Try a well lit and good resolution picture. Please reply:-
Do you have pain all the time in this affected nipple?
If you touch on the nipple with back of your hand to feel the temperature, what you think, nipple feels more hot compares to rest of the surrounding areas of chest?
Can you see redness??
Any discharge from nipple??

Management:-
Keep doing hot compresses.
Take Excedrin for pain control and to relieve this inflammatory condition.
Rest of the management can well be decided after getting the follow up details for better outcome.

Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you with expert opinion. Please don't forget to give Five Star rating to help me assist my patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up is very necessary regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is a need to change the treatment options. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Always write down my name in the start of your questions at this forum & I will be with you in no time).

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 4 hours later
Thank you, i do not feel a temperature difference, there is not redness or discharge. I will keep doing the compress and excedrin. I won't send a pic but any other thoughts or info are welcome. The other side is definitely not affected so we can probably deduct the hormonal change.I forgot to add that the pain is constant and gets worse upon the slightest touch.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be Ectasia. Needs special care!!!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back. Thanks for helping in making a diagnosis and making it easy to assist you.

It seems that you have the Mammary Duct Ectasia (the swollen milk gland in the nipple area due to clogging of the duct with greasy thick material). There is Pain and tenderness in the nipple area. This is very common disease in females of this age group.

It is not a precancerous lesion so remain calm and there seems to be no long term harm. Mostly it is self limiting disease and goes away at its own. But sometimes we need to go for surgical removal of the swollen glands from the breast.

You need to observe the management as described above. It should go away at its own in a couple of days. If it remains unchanged, then it is sure that there has developed a secondary bacterial infection causing pain and is not getting cured (a condition we call Periductal Mastitis). That can be treated then by the use of antibiotics. But right now antibiotics are not recommended.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D