Suggest remedy for sore throat

Dr. Deepak

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have had a raw sore throat for about 2 weeks now. I don't have insurance so I haven't seen a doctor. I'm getting concerned that this is going on so long and my throat seems to be getting worse. I did have mono when I was in my twenties but I'm 60 now so that seems unlikely. Can I take care of this in some way at home?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pharyngitis. Needs antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome to HCM
Thank you for the query.
I have gone through your problem and I understand your concern.

It seems like you are suffering from Pharyngitis. I would suggest you to take Tab Azithromycin 500mg one tablet a day for 3 days.
If symptoms still doesn't subside, then you should get your blood tests done along with throat swab culture and sensitivity. Consult your ENT specialist for detailed examination.

But I think you will recover with just antibiotics that I have mentioned.

Hope this helps.
Take care, Bye.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 26 minutes later
I don't suppose I can get those antibiotics without seeing a doctor to have him write me a prescription, is there?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome back.
Thank you for follow up query.

I have looked into details in your locality. This drug is not available as an Over the counter medication in US. You need doctors prescription for this.
Antibiotic is the best option for your condition right now. Simple home remedies like salt water gargling, losenges will not help you much.
Kindly get this prescription asap.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D