• question-icon

Suggest remedy for sore throat and fatigue when suffering from mononucleosis

Posted on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 in Infections
Question: I am a 54 year old female who was recently told that I had tested positive for mononucleosis. I had been suffering with the classic symptoms ( fever,sore throat, fatigue) along with some not so classic symptoms such as a short bout of vomiting and mild diarrhea. When the doctors office contacted me, they stated that I had had a "recent" mono infection and at the time of the phone call with the doctors office, my symptoms had started to subside. I have been resting and drinking plenty of fluids. I decided yesterday that I was doing much better. My sore throat was gone completely and I felt that I had a lot of energy. I decided to do a few loads of laundry and general light housework. This morning I woke up with a sore throat again and fell a little fatigued but not exhausted. Should I continue with light activities? I was given the diagnosis of the recent mono infection about a week ago.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
rest with non caffeinated fluids for one more day

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for being descriptive, so rarely I find.

The only treatment for mono is rest for at least a week with so much fluid intake. You seem to be just short of a days rest. You can possibly resume light activity tomorrow and moderate from next week. Continue throat gargles. Otherwise you seem should be less concerned. As long as the work is effortless you can carry-on from tomorrow.

Hope this answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam