Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
194 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest remedy for skin irritation in genital area

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3130 Questions

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Best treatment for skin irritation near genitals
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What type of irritation are you having?

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The treatment would depend on the cause of the irritation. It is not uncommon for women who are post menopausal to feel some vaginal irritation from dryness, and treatment for that is estrogen cream either applied inside the vagina with an applicator, or on the tissues around the vagina. This medication would be available only by prescription.

If the irritation is from a yeast overgrowth (candida), an anticandidal cream such as Monistat, also applied inside the vagina can help. You can buy this without prescription at any pharmacy.

If the irritation is not on the genitals but near them, and has the shape of pink or reddish rings, this can be a fungal infection called ringworm, and treatment with miconazole (Monistat) can help this too, but is applied on the rash, not the vagina.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Fungal infection

doctor1 MD

My groin area has become extremely painful in the last 2 day. I think it is some type of fungal infection. It hurts to walk and sit. When I towel...

doctor1 MD

Ive been to the er twice, because I can't afford a doctor. I've had this really itchy rash on my right leg upper thigh and on my groin area. Now my...

doctor1 MD

i m having problem of UTI and fungal infection both. since april i ve taken so many antibiotics. now my gynae advise me to take ornidazole 500 OD,...

doctor1 MD

my 6 year old daughter is having problems making to the bathroom and is as she is on her way to the bathroom, she can t hold it and leaks some...

doctor1 MD

My daughter is overseas and has asked about a rash she has developed: First one, now two, salmon-colored slightly raised patches of approximately 2...

doctor1 MD

My ESR Test Result: 30mm/hr in 1st hour and 2nd hour 60mm/hr why it’s come like can you please explain. Last 2 weeks on word i ma getting itching...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, The inner skin of my thighs are becoming black and with small hard pimples . Please advise some medications as one of the pimple is...