Suggest remedy for shingles

Posted on Fri, 20 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What can you tell me about shingles i.e...symptoms, pain, duration, treatment?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Severe pain, tenderness, closely grouped vesicles lasting for 3-4 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic
Your mother is suffering from shingles. I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the rash for confirmation of the diagnosis.
As far as symptoms of shingles is concerned it starts with pain which is very severe and may be accompanied by fever, headache and tenderness. This is followed by eruption of closely grouped blisters in the same area of the pain.The pain and symptoms subside as the eruption disappears. It usually takes 3-4 weeks in older patients.
As far as treatment is concerned antivirals should be started as early as possible. I recommend my patients valciclovir or famciclovir. For pain relief she can start with Amitriptyline and gabapentine . But all these should be started once the diagnosis is confirmed.
I hope to have answered your query.
I would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Good luck.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist