Suggest remedy for severe stomach pain in a pregnant diabetic patient

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor,
I am in the 13th week of pregnancy, my sugar levels were slightly higher than normal (prediabetic mark) and I was recommended to meet a Doctor specializing in Diabetics to assess Gestational Diabetes and recommend a diet chart to ensure the sugar levels remained in control. Refer Gulcose Tolerance Test results with 75gms of glucose attached.

This new doctor conducted a physical checkup and in the process had pressed the stomach and abdomen area very hard. I had severe pain in my stomach and abdomen area for some time, after reaching home and resting for few hours, the pain had subsided a bit; however I am very worried that it would have harmed the baby...

I had a miscarriage in the past, and I am cursing myself as to why I had allowed the doctor to press my stomach and abdomen area... I had an impression that the doctor did not realize that I was pregnant and had conducted the procedure as he would perform for any normal individual. I am very worried.. please advise.. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry however get examined by an obstetrician.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, Hi
Good evening!

Gone through the given history and the uploaded result of OGTT.
I felt sorry to know you were slightly hurt during the clinical examination done by a diabetologist.

Did you have any discharge or bleeding soon after the clinical examination?
For how long the pain persisted after the examination?
Which month of pregnancy did you have the miscarriage?

If the pain subsided completely, there is nothing to worry about it.
However since you had a miscarriage in the past, I would like to advise you to get examined by an obstetrician to rule out any pregnancy related problem.

Regarding the OGTT, strictly adhere to the diet charge recommended by your doctor.

Hope I could answer your query, however should you need further clarification please send the follow up query.

Wishing you best of your health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T