Suggest remedy for severe pain in shoulders after laparoscopic nissen fundoplication

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had laprascopic nisson fundoplication (sp?) on 9/29. Recovery from that has been good to great. I am walking and eating as instructed. My issue is the extraodinary pain i am experiencing in my left shoulder. It is a piercing, burning pain that goes from a 6 to a 10, and it preventing me from getting the sound, healing sleep i need. It is a constant issue. Please advise and if questions please ask.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please give feedback.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Read and understood your history of Laparoscopic Nissen's funcdoplication on 29 Sept.
I would like to know a few things for me to assist you more:
Are the movements of the shoulder joint painful or restricted?
Any pain or discomfort in the abdomen?

Please give the feedback so that we can discuss further.
Please give any other information you would like to share but think is unrelated to the present problem.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 38 minutes later
My movements are not restricted. I am very healthy, active, and toned for a person my age. I do pilates, walk, and sometimes bike ride. (I have not gone back to these yet since the surgery). The pain seems to be worse at night when I am lying down and trying to sleep. Movements can be painful. I am 5'2", and weigh 138 lbs. I do not have pain or discomfort in my abdomen. My doctor said that the surgery was routine but that the hernia was quite large. Perhaps this is not related and I need to investigate tendonitis, calcium deposits or some such thing. I am tired and frustrated. My temperature is normal. I don't know what else to tell you.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasonography of the abdomen and MRI of the painful shoulder.

Detailed Answer:
One of the reasons for the shoulder pain is irritation of the diaphragm. The surgery is done on this part or near this part and hence the irritation can cause severe shoulder pain.
And the other reason can obviously be a frozen shoulder itself. If this is so the movements of the shoulder will be restricted and painful.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Ultrasonography of the abdomen to see if there is any blood clot or so under the diaphragm that can cause irritation and pain in the shoulder. There are other things like the suture materials and so on that can cause irritation and are not detectable by any tests.
MRI of the painful shoulder and clinical evaluation, clinicopathological correlation by an Orthopedic Surgeon

Both these things will help to get the cause and the treatment will be as per the cause found.