Suggest remedy for severe pain in shoulder

Posted on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear Dr XXXXXXX
Good morning and Happy Pongal.

I have severe pain on my right hand shoulder jojnt and get pain even when I take my both
while lifting the water mug. I am leaving for Geneva on the 18th this month. Can you suggest me some medicines which can give me immediate relief. All my medical history ,is in your records.Thanks and with regards. S.Gopalakrishnan
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Right shoulder periarthritis ( Frozen shoulder)

Detailed Answer:
Good morning and welcome back to Health care magic.

HAPPY PONGAL to you too

Hope your leg edema and BP is under control. Noted your symptoms. You are likely to have Frozen shoulder ( shoulder periarthritis) which is a complication of diabetes. SInce you have 3 days left for travel, please start physiotherapy soon. That will be of great help. You should continue shoulder phsyiotherapy at Geneva as well.

For now, you may use Paracetamol 500 mg 2 tablets three times a day ( this dose is safe). If pain is still present, you may also use another medicine called ETORICOXIB 90 mg once daily for 3-5 days. I donot use lots of pain killers except PARACETAMOL in diabetes patients due to the fear of kidney problem. But 3-5 days of ETORICOXIB should be fine if your creatinie is normal.

But be aware that ETORICOXIB can cause little fluid retention. My advice would be a) Physiotherapy b) Paracetamol 500 mg 2 tablets three times a day c ) if still pain, after few days, then use ETORICIXIB.

PHYSIOTHERAPY is must

Binu

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist