Suggest remedy for severe pain in lower back after a fall

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I fell flat on my back 5 weeks ago on concrete pavings. I have seen the doctor who said didnt think anything broken, but I am in constant breathtaking pain. The pain is on either side of lower back. I can walk ok. Pain killers only alleviate things for 1 hour at the most. The pain has taken over my life now.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs rest, heat application

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Do you have pain while lying down or taking rest ?

Any tingling, numbness or weakness of the lower limbs ?

Any pain in taking a deep breath ?

Usually minor back aches relieve within a couple of weeks with proper precautions. Due to fall off heavy object on the lower back, there is injury to the skin, underlying muscles and sometimes fracture of the spine.

I would advise you to avoid bending forwards or lifting weights. Take pain killer with muscle relaxant like Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day and Tablet Thicolchicoside 8mg twice a day, both after meals, for 7 days. Apply hot water bag to relieve of the spasms of the lower back. You can apply a Lumbosacral belt for support if you have a lot of difficulty and pain.

It would be helpful if you could upload the Xray films for my review. If I suspect any sinister injuries, I would recommend further investigations like CT Scan of the spine.

Kindly answer the questions for me to be in a better position to help you.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
In answer to your questions. I fell 5 weeks ago and I have not had any x-rays etc. My doctor has not suggested any. I do have pain when lying down and resting. The pain is constant. 3 days after I fell the lower half of my back turned a black colour with brusing, which the doctor saw. If I take a deep breath I have pains in each side of my back. My worry is that after 5 weeks, I am still in severe pain and it is not improving. I use a hot water bottle, Kapake and paracetamol.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Xray Lumbosacral spine AP and lateral views needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Thanks for the follow up.

I recommend that you get Xray lumbosacral spine AP and lateral views and kindly upload them for my review.

Kindly follow the precautions I mentioned. We need to look for the offending problem and solve of, keeping your health well-maintained.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T