Suggest remedy for severe pain after taking Betaferon injection

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: what can I do to relieve pain in a betaferon site that has necrosis my gp saying that it's chemical burn from injection but pain worsening even with slight movement what can I do to relieve pain
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Additional information required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

It would be very helpful if you could provide me following additional information for me to be able to assist you further.

1. When did you receive the injection?

2. What was the site of injection?

3. Is there any itching at site?

4. Providing clinical photograph will be really helpful

Awaiting your response

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 6 hours later
injection was 4 weeks ago 5cm from navel no itching no other sites has this problem
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be carbuncle

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

Thanks for providing clinical photograph. The site of injection has become a chronic non healing ulcer which could be due to

1. Subcutaneous necrosis of the fat secondary to injection causing the formation of carbuncle and spreading infection

2. Atypical Infection like Mycobacterium

3. Co-existing illness like Diabetis Mellitus

I would suggest you the following

1. Wound swab for culture and antibiotic sensitivity( Culture even for Mycobacterium )

2. Fasting and post prandial blood sugar level to rule out Diabetes Mellitus

3. Local debridement and daily dressing

4. Course of oral antibiotics for 2 weeks

Do keep me updated about the progress. It is my practise to follow up with individuals unless they are symptom free.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life

Take Care

Best regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 22 minutes later
Do have type diabetes have been on two different types of antibiotics for past 21 days and still no relief
Brief Answer:
Uncontrolled Diabetis could be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

Uncontrolled diabetes could be the cause for non healing wound. DO get culture done and also sugar levels done. Also follow the advise completely as advised before. Clarithromycin antibiotic can be tried in consultation with your physician.

Kindly keep me updated.

Take Care

Shobha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D