Suggest remedy for severe muscle pain

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Pain Management
Question: I am 65 and work every day, but I get up with moderate to server pain in all muscles and barely can make it up.
I use 1000mg Tylenol and 400 mg ibubrofen just to motivate. My doctor was giving me hydrocodone 10..350
which helped but he says it Is addictive though it helps better that the Tylenol and ibuprofen, I take 1000mg Tylenol and 400 mg ibuprofen at the end of the day also just to feel like motivating, also for eye pain.They do not help like the hydrocodone 10/30 but I use then as alternative to pain. what does more damage hdydrocodone that works or lots of Tylenol that dulls the pain a bit. should I ask the Dr for 2 hydrocodone a day in place of so much Tylenol? by the way I had Eye surgery (schleral buckle) and am not recovered, an now am taking drops for pressure in my eye, it was 50 where my good eye is 13. I have stopped the steroids in my eye and only use pressure drops combingan and dorzolamide
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
opioid dose escalation is not adviced

Detailed Answer:
hi Sir,
i have carefully gone through your query and understand your concern.
sir i would like to tell you that,a combination of tylenol and ibuprofen is more efficacious than 2 tabs of hydrocodone even though it is more potent than the other two.

Increasing the dose of hydrocodone is associated with more side effects as it is an opioid group analgesic,it is more likely to be addictive.

Side effects like constipation,respiratory depression,sedation are more common with opioids.

Llong term usuage of opioids is also associated with risk of developing renal failure.

Hence dose escalation of opioids is not adviced.

Instead increasing the dose of ibuprofen to 600 mg is adviced.

This would cater to pain management of the eye surgery as well.

i hope this info is helpful to you,
wish you a good health,
thank you,
take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T