Suggest remedy for severe muscle pain caused by broken femur

Dr. Ahmad Nazzal

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am mostly recovered from a broken (left) femur (February 2014.) I still have a pronounced limp, which sometimes causes my right side (where my belt would be) to hurt, which I assume is a pulled muscle caused by walking "crooked." Ten days ago, I slipped on wet leaves and landed on my back. I immediately had pain in my tailbone and on the right side or my waist, the same place as the sore muscle pain. I assume that I when I fell ten days ago, I reinjured my coccyx (which I did when a child.) I also was afraid that I'd broken the top right of my pelvis and/or a rib. The pain got better and better day to day, with rest, heat, cold packs, and aspirin. Yesterday I went shopping for the first time since the last fall and did not use crutches. The pain in my side got so much worse that I cut my errands short and came straight home. I applied cold packs all evening and used a heating pad part of the night. It does not hurt when I stand on my right leg, but usually hurts with every time I step on left leg. It also hurts when sitting, taking deep breaths, and coughing. If it is a cracked rib or pelvis, I know there is not much to do but be careful while it heals. But I wanted to be sure that there is no major organ on my right side, under where a belt would be. To be clear, if you were going to "put your hands on your hips" my pain is exactly where my right hand would rest at my waist level. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle pain

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for reaching out to us in HCM with your question. I will do my best in answering your question.

As you might have expected your left limp can cause muscle spasms on the right side since your body is trying to avoid putting weight on the left broken femur side which stresses the right side of the body. And as long as you have been visiting your treating doctor after the surgery he or she could have detected any organ problems.
With your slip as long as it caused only pain with no leg problems it can be that the slip exacerbated your right sided muscle pain that you were feeling.

Anyhow answering your direct question right side at that level anteriorly has no major organs. but kidneys, ureters, bladder, ovaries, intestines, uterus all can lead to pain radiating to regions around where you described, though such pain will lead to other symptoms and will start at different places like the back, loin etc.

Its important in your case and with medical history to do at least an xray of the right femur and pelvic bones to make sure you do not have any new fracture which might lead to similar pain.

Please get in contact with your doctor and inform him or her with the incident and ask for appointment to get a proper physical examination to role out any fractures or serious injuries.

I hope this helped.

Kind regards,
Dr. Nazzal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T