Suggest remedy for severe menstrual cramps

Posted on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Have been having worse menstral cramps over last year. This last month I was double over in pain & puked. Could this be perimenopause or endometriosis? I was told I have endometriosis in posterior cul du sac after laproscopic surgery 11 years ago. Also, could either of these be causing my increasing incidence of migraines.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to endometriosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
An increase in menstrual cramps can be related to endometriosis and can cause an increase in the episodes of migraine headache.
Since you already have a history of endometriosis it is best to consult your gynecologist and get the proper investigations done. This is not likely to be related to perimenopause.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 hours later
Thank you so much for your answer. My migraines are coming so much more often and seam worse and last longer. My cardiologist doesn't like for me to take my Prodrin but I have to at times, but it makes me feel bad also.

Could you please give me a quick / easy to understand explanation as to how the endometriosis could be increasing my migraines?

What do you think will be my treatment options? If a hysterectomy is in my future, will they take just the uterus or also need to take my overies?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It has been seen in scientific studies that women with endometriosis are more prone to get migraine headaches due to release of some biochemical mediators.
The treatment depends on the severity of problem. Hysterectomy may be needed and in case of endometriosis it is best to get the ovaries also removed to prevent the cyclic hormonal variations. You can discuss regarding the various options with your gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN