Suggest remedy for severe leg cramps

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: for the last 6-8 months i am awaken nightly with severe upper leg cramps, so severe that it can take 10-15 minutes just to get out of bed to try and stand up. also around my groin area. ACTUALLY IT IS NOT MUSCLE SPASMS AS I KNOW PLENTY ABOUT HOW THEY FEEL. IT IS MORE LIKE MY LIGAMENTS OR TENDONS ARE TIGHTENING UP. IT IS ON BOTH SIDES ON THE UPPER INSIDE OF MY THIGHS.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can eb due to electrolyte abnormalities.

Detailed Answer:
It seems that you are feeling the tightness of tendons in the morning that is similar to muscle cramps.
It can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
Do get your Vitamin D3 and B12 levels evaluated. Start with proper supplements in case there is any deficiency. Doing passive stretching exercises of the legs under the guidance of a physiotherapist will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
JUST TO GIVE YOU MORE INFO. I DO HAVE MGUS. ONE AND A HALF YRS NOW. AND THE BLOOD LEVEL PROTEINS OR CREATINE(WHATEVER) ARE NOT GETTING BETTER. I HAVE HAD A SPINAL CORD TUMOR OPERATION (15 YRS AGO) IN THE THORASIC AREA. I HAVE LOTS OF SCAR TISSUE THAT GETS INFLAMED FROM THAT ALONE. AND BAD BACK PAIN. I WAS IN A PAIN CLINIC FOR YRS BUT THE MEDS THEY PRESCRIBED GAVE ME "SEROTONIN SYNDROME" AND I GOT TO EMERGENCY JUST IN TIME. I TAKE NO PAIN CLINIC MEDS ANYMORE AT ALL. ONLY OVER THE COUNTER IBUPROFEN. THIS UPPER LEG PAIN SEEMS TO HAVE COME OUT OF NO WHERE AS I HAVE BEEN VERY ACTIVE THIS LAST YR. RUNNING AND PLAYING WITH THE CHILDREN HERE. I DO STRETCH MY LEGS AND I AM DRINKING WATER WITH ELECTORITES. ALSO TAKE MAGNESIUM AND CALCIUM AND ZINC. AND EAT ONE OR TWO BANANAS A DAY. I HAVE ACTUALLY STAYED UP TILL THE EARLY MORN HRS BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID THIS WOULD JUST HAPPEN OVER AND OVER. I REALIZE THAT IS A LOT TO HEAR. BUT IT IS ALL TRUE. MY PRIMARY DOCTOR WANTS TO HAVE AN EPIDURAL DONE FOR MY BACK PAIN. LAST TIME I DID THAT I ENDED UP WITH A SEVERE SIATICA INFLAMATION THAT TOOK 3 MONTHS TO END. FOR NOW I WILL DRINK MORE WATER DURING THE DAY AND DO MORE STRETCHES. I DO REALLY HATE TO BE COMPLAINING ABOUT PAIN AGAIN, BUT IT IS WEARING ME DOWN SLOWLY. I APPRECIATE YOUR ANSWER. I AM HAVING A NEW BLOOD TEST FOR THE MGUS THIS WEEK. IS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL IN MY BLOOD WORK THEY SHOULD LOOK FOR. THANKS AGAIN, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are doing the right thing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It seems you are already doing the best for you. Regular exercise and proper hydration is the only way to stay fit for longer. You can get your serum electrolytes evaluated.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon