Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest remedy for severe itching and burning on skin

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1489 Questions
I am a 54 year old female -menopausal for about 1 year. it seems with the onset of menopause I am experiencing extreme itching and burning of my skin. It started on my face I got a red circle under my eye that moved to my eyelid then became alligator like and began flaking like dandruff. Next my head became blotchy, inflamed and red it began flaking heavy dandruff. This started in March of this year. Now the icing on the cake is my private parts. Swollen red and unbearably itchy. When I urinate my entire genitle area stings a burns. I've tried every over the counter anti itch, cortisone, triple antibiotic. Nothing works. I can hardly stand to move from point A to point B. Help!
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM
From your description and history, it seems you have got extensive Tinea, a sort of fungal skin infection.
I would recommend you consult a dermatologist for proper management.
I would also recommend some laboratory tests especially to rule out diabetes and other immunodeficiency state.

I generally recommend proper course of oral antifungal drug like fluconazole / itraconazole for 6-8 weeks along with local application of novel antifungal creams like sertaconazole or luliconazole cream over affected areas. As the condition is fungal there is no role of any antibiotic or steroid cream,so kindly avoid other medications.
Use ketoconazole based soap and shampoo for daily rinsing of body areas.
Use antifungal dusting powder over private areas to keep them dry and free of fungus.
Take oral antihistaminics for itching as required.
Avoid tight fitting garments and maintain hygiene.
Avoid sharing of soap and towel.

Hope this will take care of your problem.
Let me know if you require any more help from my side.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor