Suggest remedy for severe itching and burning on skin

Dermatologist
Question
I am a 54 year old female -menopausal for about 1 year. it seems with the onset of menopause I am experiencing extreme itching and burning of my skin. It started on my face I got a red circle under my eye that moved to my eyelid then became alligator like and began flaking like dandruff. Next my head became blotchy, inflamed and red it began flaking heavy dandruff. This started in March of this year. Now the icing on the cake is my private parts. Swollen red and unbearably itchy. When I urinate my entire genitle area stings a burns. I've tried every over the counter anti itch, cortisone, triple antibiotic. Nothing works. I can hardly stand to move from point A to point B. Help!
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for posting on HCM
From your description and history, it seems you have got extensive Tinea, a sort of fungal skin infection.
I would recommend you consult a dermatologist for proper management.
I would also recommend some laboratory tests especially to rule out diabetes and other immunodeficiency state.

I generally recommend proper course of oral antifungal drug like fluconazole / itraconazole for 6-8 weeks along with local application of novel antifungal creams like sertaconazole or luliconazole cream over affected areas. As the condition is fungal there is no role of any antibiotic or steroid cream,so kindly avoid other medications.
Use ketoconazole based soap and shampoo for daily rinsing of body areas.
Use antifungal dusting powder over private areas to keep them dry and free of fungus.
Take oral antihistaminics for itching as required.
Avoid tight fitting garments and maintain hygiene.
Avoid sharing of soap and towel.

Hope this will take care of your problem.
Let me know if you require any more help from my side.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda